HTC EVO 4G and Android 2.2 Froyo Together at Last
On Tuesday, August 3rd, Sprint will start sending out notifications that an update for Android 2.2 will be available to HTC EVO 4G users. However, Sprint is allowing people who “can’t wait’” can get access to the update as soon as August 1st. Instructions on how to get the early update and an excerpt from the press release after the break.
To get the update early, go to the Settings Menu > System Updates > HTC Software Update. The complete press release is available from Sprint but the important stuff is all listed below:
The award-winning HTC EVO 4G just got that much better. We are excited to announce that beginning the week of Aug. 1; Sprint will begin rolling out the Android 2.2 upgrade to its HTC EVO 4G customers.
Sprint will be the first wireless carrier to bring1 the latest version of Android to its customers. The Android 2.2 software release provides a significant number of feature enhancements, including:
- Voice Dialing Over Bluetooth.
- Application Storage on External Memory, giving users more storage room for all their apps.
- Camera 4-way rotation allows the camera icons to rotate with the camera.
"Sprint is thrilled with our customers’ response to HTC EVO 4G and the innovative and exciting experience it offers,” said Fared Adib, vice president – Product Development for Sprint. “It is exciting for us to lead the industry in bringing the Android 2.2 update to these customers and improve on the amazing experience they receive with America’s first 4G capable phone.”
Sprint will begin sending update notifications to users in waves beginning Tuesday, Aug. 3 and the upgrade should be available for all HTC EVO 4G users by the middle of August.
The notification will let the users know that the update is available and it will provide the simple two-step over-the-air download process.
- Users will receive a notification that Android 2.2 is available for download.
- Once the user has downloaded the update, they will be prompted to install the update. The user will be notified that their device will be disabled during the installation process. The phone will be ready to use once the process completes.
For those who just can’t wait to get Android 2.2, there will be an easy user initiated option to download the upgrade. Customers can access the software update through their HTC EVO 4G under the Settings Menu> System Updates > HTC Software Update. This will initiate the three-step process also.