combusted-iphone-screwPicture it, you are on an airplane headed to Sydney Australia when all the sudden your iPhone “Self-Combusts”! That’s what happened last November to a traveling iPhone 4 owner as they were traveling “down under”. Now, some 6 months later the Australian Government has concluded it’s investigation and announced that the iPhone 4 in question had underdone a screen replacement surgery at an unauthorized iPhone hospital and  Dr. Ima Hack forgot about a screw and it worked it’s way up to the battery  casing and punctured it. Long story short, make sure you use credible service repair shops and make sure you don’t have a screw loose before you fly!

Here is a quote from the AU Report

The phone was sent to the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) as part of an investigation into the matter, which has now revealed that a misplaced screw punctured the battery casing, leading to a short circuit that caused the battery to overheat.
The screw that caused the issue was the result of a botched screen-replacement job from a non-authorised service centre. A screw from the bottom of the unit, adjacent to the 30-pin connector, found its way into the handset, and caused the battery compartment to puncture as a result.

[ZDNet AU via Macrumors]

1 COMMENT

  1. “…and make sure you don’t have a screw loose before you fly!”. Good advice for everyone.

    I remember an incident many years ago where I tossed a spare battery for my Motorola (rather large) Flip Phone in the bottom of my Tumi bag, and put the bag in the overhead compartment for a short trip from Newark to Boston. When I pulled the bag down, the compartment smelled like burning electronics. Opened the bag and found that a paper clip had bridged the contact on the spare battery and completely distorted and melted the end of the battery pack. Could have been much worse, but it turned out to be a $55 lesson for me. After that I kept all spare batteries packed in their own protective pouches or ziplocks. Still amazes me that every spare does not come with it’s own $0.02 protective cover. Could possibly save some lives.

Comments are closed.