Just when you thought it was safe to pay wireless data plan from AT&T, here is yet another spin on how they are going to charge you for data consumption. If you are like me, you have less (cough) than satisfactory cell phone reception in your home. Actually, I have no cell phone reception in my home, I have to go outside to acquire 1-2 bars of service. So I am currently looking for alternatives. Enter AT&T’s remedy for crappy service in some locations called 3G Microcell. This cool little gadget lets you use your broadband internet connection to make and receive cell phone calls in high speed. Here’s more:
- Enhanced coverage indoors – supports both voice and data up to 5000 square feet
- Available unlimited minute plans – individual or FamilyTalk plans.
- 3G handset compatible – works with any AT&T 3G phone.
- Supports up to four voice or data users at once.
- Device is secure – cannot be accessed by unauthorized users, easy and secure online management of device settings
- Seamless call hand-over – start calls on your 3G MicroCell and continue without interruption, even if you leave the building.
Sounds cool huh? Well, if you are one of the 7 lucky States that have access to 3G Microcell, you might just say that. You are probably thinking hey, this is using my high speed internet connection so this is going to be like making cell phone calls against my existing cell phone plan right? Wrong. Even though the majority of the data passing though to your phone is over your already paid for broadband internet connection, AT&T is planning on charging these calls against your data plan as well. AT&T claims that there is a cost for them to process this data on their end after the broadband internet connection. So here it is, you pay for cell phone service, you pay for a cell phone data plan. You pay for broadband internet, and now you are going to get charged again for a 3G Microcell phone call against your data plan too. It is policies like this that make people’s blood boil and why any Google Image Search on “AT&T” has their logo as the Star Wars Death Star! It’s not like AT&T is giving the 3G Microcell device out for free to make reparations to it’s customers for it’s less than stunning service in some areas, the cost of the Microcell will set you back about $150.00. Where do the charges stop and their service improve?