Seems like there is huge mobile browser frenzy going on these days. We recently had Skyfire 1.0 released officially taking that browser out of beta and then we have a Opera 9.7 (Turbo) to be released tomorrow and now we have Iris 1.1.8 which was released today. I use Iris as my primary browser because it is a lot faster to start up than any of the other browsers and the websites that I visit on my phone are pretty simple (Email, mobility sites, ESPN) and are fast to load since I just use mobile version of the sites. Here are some of the improvements in the browser as a listed by Torch Mobile here.
- Improved graphics performance
- Faster networking and loading of local files
- Improved memory usage
- Improved asynchronous behavior while loading pages
- Support for the W3C Geolocation API
- Support for HTML5 SQL databases and client side storage
- Rendering improvements, including for <canvas>
- CSS transformations and effects
- Improved Thai support
- Right-to-left language fixes
- Many general bug fixes
Download it here. I have been playing with the browser for a while and here is what I have seen so far:
- Slightly faster although not a huge improvement, you can still notice a slight increase in load times.
- Better zooming and better use of the capacitive zoom.
Other than those two things I did notice anything else in the performance or aesthetics of the browser. Maybe I am just missing some things and did not play with the browser enough. If you use Iris and notice any new changes that I did not notice let us know.