Mobility Digest Guide: Installing WP7 on HTC HD2 (With Photos)
January 13, 2011 | Cool stuff | 30 Comments|
Here is a detailed guide on how to install Windows Phone 7 on your HD2.
Disclaimer: Please try this guide on your own risk. Mobility Digest or I are not responsible for any damage caused your device from using this guide.
Steps before you begin:
- Make sure you have HARDSPL 2.08 installed on your phone. If you do not then you can get that here.
- Make sure you have at least 50% battery.
- Make sure you have a radio version that is something like this 2.xx.50.x. If you dont then you can get that here.
- Once these steps are done we can begin.
- Make sure you have a backup SD card and not the one you normally use. You could lose all your data on the card.
Flashing Windows 7 on HD2:
- Download the Windows Phone files from here. Extract the files on to your computer somewhere and this is what you should see after you extract the files.
- Next connect your phone to your computer and your phone screen should look something like this. you can just leave it on the home page and dont need to be in bootloader mode or anything.
- Once that is done open the MAGLDR12 folder from the extracted files and then double click on ROMUpdateUtility.exe
- Read the ROM update instructions and click through them.
- Once you click through it the phone should enter bootloader mode automatically and you should see a progress bar on your phone and on the computer.
- Once the ROM update is done your phone will automatically boot and you will go into this screen.
- Scroll down to USB Flasher by using the volume up and down keys on the left side of the phone and then hit the green answer call button.
- Once you do that you will see this screen next:
- Once you see this screen. Go back to your extracted files on your computer and open the folder LEO70_ROM and there you will see an application called DWI run that application as an administrator if you are on windows 7.
- Once you do that you will see a batch of these screens. Read the information and click through them.
- After that screen shows up for a while here is what you will see on your phone:
- Once this is done the phone will reboot and you will see this screen.
- Which will be followed by this screen.
- After that screen you will have entered windows phone initial setup process and from there everything is self explanatory.
- In order for the phone to recognize your memroy card if it has not already done so go to: Settings>about>reset. AGAIN MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A BACKUP MEMORY CARD IN THERE.
THANKS TO XDA AND DFT TEAM. I will be updating this post soon with instructions on how to get back to WM 6.5 if you choose too but for right now I wanted to get these instructions out.
When WP7 boots does it wipe out your SD card? I presume it does when it turns it into part of the mass storage. And that card is then ‘locked’ (until you get a Nokia or something:))
No SD card is not affected. The first time i installed WP before writing this guide i did have my sd card in and nothing is deleted off of the card. The second time I did it, I removed the SD card and still had no problems.
So then the question is, does this build of WP7 “see” your SD card? If not, that’s a problem.
How do i check? when i go to about my phone i see total storage at 176.53mb and available storage at 126.31mb
Well that sounds like the card is not recognized. So very limiting in what you could load. Wonder if a hard reset after flashing would recognize the card, as it does with Samsung, but apparently not with VenuePro. Would depend on where the ROM guys got the build from I suppose.
How do you hard reset WP7?
go to settings and about and then theres an option at the bottom of the about screen
YESSSS HARD RESET DID IT!!
BUT I DID IT TO THE WRONG SD CARD!!!!! ALL OF MY STUFF IS gone!! 🙁 dangit. all of my PIM backups are gone.
thats amazing, this clearly isnt just a mockup of WP7 if thats the case
Lol, dude, you gotta use the backup card for this!!!
Pretty amazing they got this running so well.
I thought i switched to back up card but i guess i did not. how ever…. not all my information is lost. i was able to recover my PIM backups which were the most important things on there. other than that i think i just lost some photos but that is ok.
Interesting to see how they are assigning the three WP7 buttons, and maybe the dedicated camera button. Visually (left to right) or logically (Start, Back, Call for search and maybe End for Camera).
The buttons are assigned this way: Going left to right : camera, search, home, back, end (lock)
Ahh, forgot the HD2 has 5 buttons. Nice. Search and back will be a bit confusing if you are used to WP7, or when you eventually switch.
My phone is stuck at the HTC screen after ROM update. What do I do???
Someone help please!!!!!
Do you have hard spl on the phone??
Yes. 2.08.hspl, upgraded from 1.42.0000
so what screen is it stuck at exactly? did you try reset it?
It is just showing a white screen with htc. I did a soft and hard reset but it still remains in the same mode.
put it in bootloader and try to wm6.5 back on it.
Sorry, where do I get bootloader? how do I do that?
turn the phone off and then hold down the volume down button and turn the phone back on. Hold the volume down until you see a tricolor screen. then let go off the volume button.
I have the tricolor
the phone is in tricolor.
flash a wm 6.5 rom once u are on the tri color screen. sorry I was away from my computer and could not reply. For more help post in our forums and other people will be able to help you other than me. So if i am not available they can help. http://mobilitydigest.com/forums/
I have joined the forum, got rom from NRG, downloading. Thanks.
hi , i alrdy install wp7 on my htc hd2(t8585). but after i install it i cant see my sd card . how can i get it back .. please anyone help me out about it.
Is it works in bahrain