As been the case with so many high end devices from Verizon in the past that sport their super fast 4G LTE, the Motorola Droid 4 will not share the same price point at launch. Verizon, insisting that their 4G LTE enabled devices receive a $100.00 increase, has instead chosen to price the slide out QWERTY keyboard Motorola Droid 4 at the more normal price of $199.99 with two year contract. It could be this niche device with it’s form factor might appeal to a smaller base or that Verizon has too many flagship devices right now that adding the $100 dollar premium would surely hurt sales for the Droid 4. Indeed, Big Red consumers have a plethora of devices to satisfy their 4G LTE desires with the likes of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus as well as the Motorola DROID RAZR and RAZR MAXX both making a huge impact and creating havoc for the marketing team at Verizon to figure out the leader of this here’ gang.
Even with the flood of Android Devices, I think the Motorola DROID 4 should be seriously considered as that keyboard creates a completely unique experience for any that interact a lot via their mobile device. Yesterday, we got a preview of the DROID 4 from the folks at Wirefly and a nice little video review, but I cannot wait to get my hands on another QWERTY Keyboard device and put it through it’s paces as I did with the DROID 3.
Check out the press release below for the full details on the Verizon launch of the Motorola DROID 4
BASKING RIDGE, NJ — The award winning DROID 4 by Motorola will be available to handle even the most demanding lifestyles starting Feb. 10 in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores and online at www.verizonwireless.com. Introduced at this year’s Consumer Electronic Show (CES), the DROID 4 is the thinnest and most powerful 4G QWERTY smartphone measuring at less than half an inch thin. DROID 4 not only features a dual-core 1.2 GHz processor, but also a five-row QWERTY keyboard with a PC-like layout and edge-lit keys for fast, precise typing, even in the dark. Powered by America’s fastest, most reliable 4G network, DROID 4 customers will have access to 4G LTE coverage in 195 markets covering more than 200 million people.
- Verizon Wireless 4G LTE – Customers can expect fast download speeds of 5 to 12 megabits per second (Mbps) and upload speeds of 2 to 5 Mbps in 4G LTE Mobile Broadband coverage areas
- Android™ 2.3.5 Gingerbread, to be upgraded to Android™ 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
- 4.0-inch qHD display with scratch and scrape resistant glass
- Government-grade encryption (FIPS 140-2) for email, calendar and contacts; preloaded with Citrix® Receiver™ for Android (available in webtop) for desktop virtualization and access
- 8-megapixel camera with 1080p HD video capture
- Front-facing camera for video chat
- 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot supporting up to eight Wi-Fi-enabled devices
DROID 4 is designed to help customers get more done. Business professionals can impress their audience by presenting to a conference room full of potential customers in a snap by plugging the DROID 4 into an HDTV and presenting directly from the phone. Professionals can also combine the DROID 4 with the Lapdock 500 and its 14-inch display to create a full-featured mobile office. They can download documents, make edits using Lapdock’s full keyboard and email the updated documents to colleagues or customers. The Lapdock even features a built-in webcam so customers can attend virtual meetings and manage their business face-to-face.
The Smart Actions app on the DROID 4 helps automate everyday tasks and optimizes battery efficiency by letting customers create rules, such as automatically setting the phone to vibrate during work hours or dimming the display at a specific battery level.
Business professionals can leave their laptops behind and use the MotoCast™ app to remotely stream documents, videos, music and pictures from their work or home computers to their handset. The remote access of MotoCast eliminates the need to store documents on the handset as everything is stored on their office laptop.
Pricing and availability
- DROID 4 by Motorola will be available on Feb. 10 in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores and online atwww.verizonwireless.com for $199.99 with a new two-year customer agreement.
- The Lapdock 500 is available in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores and online for $299.97.
- Customers that purchase a DROID 4 will need to subscribe to a Verizon Wireless Nationwide Talk plan beginning at $39.99 monthly access and a smartphone data package starting at $30 monthly access for 2 GB of data.