Did Sony already have a ‘SmartWatch’ on the market called the LiveView? I don’t think it worked out well for them so I guess they’re trying again… The new SmartWatch features a 1.3” OLED screen at 128×128 pixels and can be used with any phone or tablet I would think that’s running Android 2.1 and above. It’s got an MSRP of $149.99.
Sony Mobile Communications announces the availability of its new SmartWatch, a wearable device that extends the power of Android smartphones by sending timely and personal information from your smartphone straight to your wrist. A vibration and screen alert notifies you of key events, like an incoming call. It also allows you to read texts and emails as well as receive Facebook™ and Twitter™ updates – all from your wrist.
SmartWatch from Sony connects to Android smartphones via Bluetooth™ giving you the ability to control key functions without removing your smartphone from your pocket or bag. With just a tap, touch, and swipe, SmartWatch turns from a watch displaying the time to a remote information center for your Android smartphone.
A growing number of apps are available for download through Google Play – including those for social updates, workouts and music – all customized for the 1.3-inch OLED SmartWatch touch screen. While SmartWatch works with these existing apps, Android developers can create apps specifically for the device. SmartWatch works with most Android (2.1 and above) smartphones.
"SmartWatch is the first of many Smart Extras that seamlessly connect and expand the smartphone’s reach and user experience," said Paul Hamnett, President and Head of Customer Unit, North America, Sony Mobile Communications. "Designed to break free from the single screen experience, SmartWatch provides access to live content and entertainment on the go."
The durable SmartWatch is dust proof and splash proof and comes with a black rubber wristband included in the box. Wristbands in five additional colors are available for purchase. SmartWatch’s design includes a rear mounted clip, so it can be removed from the wristband and attached to clothing or a belt.
At launch, SmartWatch has a suggested retail price of $149.99 and will be available at http://www.sony.com/smartwatch and Sony stores. SmartWatch availability at additional retailers will be announced soon.
SmartWatch is part of Sony Mobile Communications’ strategy to create Smart Extras that make Android smartphones smarter.
Key Features of Sony Xperia™ SmartWatch:
- Dimensions: 1.42 X 1.42 X 0.3 in
- Weight: 0.55 oz
- Display: 1.3" OLED display, 128 x 128 pixels
- Compatibility: Bluetooth™ 3.0 and Android™ 2.1 or above
- Connectivity: Standard USB charging
- Battery life: Up to 4 days
- Language support for: English, Spanish, French, Chinese (Traditional), Portuguese, Swedish, Russian, Danish, Polish, Japanese, Czech, German, Modern Greek, Dutch
- Notifications: Display notification or vibration
- Apps: All events (displays in chronological order), Messaging (SMS/MMS), corporate E-mail (for Sony™ and Sony Ericsson Android phones), Gmail (for all other Android smartphones) Calendar Notifications, Facebook™, Twitter™, Music Player, Call handling (call, mute, reject, or answer and send pre-defined SMS), Pre-defined SMS, e.g. missed calls – I’m busy, messaging – call me, email – ok, Battery strength, Find phone, and Weather widget. Plus lots of apps on Android™ market.
- Additional SmartWatch bands available in pink, white, mint, grey and blue
For full details on all products news, please visit the press room and the product blog:http://blogs.sonymobile.com/products. For full Android smartphone compatibility, please visit http://sonymobile.com/smartwatch.