With the next generation of Motorola Dual Core QHD Screen hot rod devices coming out it in the next few weeks if rumors are true, I probably would not have bothered to pay much attention to the Motorola Cliq 2 let alone post very much on it. But since our own Kristofer Brozio did a Mobility Digest Review on the original Cliq XT, I thought it would be good to follow up and complete the series with a conclusion video review by our friend’s at Wirefly.
Being honest, we were not impressed with the original Cliq XT and even less impressed with Android 1.5. But times they are a changing and the Cliq 2 has some pretty respectable hardware which includes a 3.7-inch, 480 x 854-pixel LCD screen. The Cliq 2 is also now running Android 2.2 or Froyo and is powered by a 1GHz Processor. The Cliq 2 is also a slide out QWERTY Keyboard device that has a really good look and feel about it. Wirefly ran the Smartbench 2010 test on the Cliq 2 and it was not the best we have seen out of a Android device, but heaps better than the Cliq XT. It scored a Productivity rating of 742 and a Gaming score 1463.
The Cliq 2 is available on Wirefly for $49.99 with a two year contract from T-Mobile.
- Display: The Motorola Cliq 2 has the 3.7-inch, 480 x 854-pixel LCD screen common to Motorola’s recent Android phones. This is one of the best displays currently available, with bright colors and clear resolution, and it is a big step up form the original Cliq, which had a 3.1-inch, 320 x 480-pixel display. Anyone familiar with a Cliq will be highly impressed with the display on the Cliq 2.
- Operating system: The Motorola Cliq 2 ships with Android 2.2, which represents a major advance when compared to Android 1.5 intalled on the original Cliq. Android 2.2 is fast and stable, and much more compatible with standard content such as Adobe Flash and WMV video files.
- Processor and RAM: The Motorola Cliq 2 has about twice the processor speed of the original Cliq and the newer version is all-around faster. You can expect significantly improved response with the Cliq 2 as compared to the original Cliq.
- Keyboard: Both the Motorola Cliq and Cliq 2 have a slide-out QWERTY keyboard. Both can also enter text with a virtual QWERTY on-screen keyboard.
- Storage Space: The Motorola Cliq 2 has 1GB of on-board storage and comes with a pre-installed 2GB microSD card. The original Cliq had 512MB of storage and also came with a pre-installed 2GB microSD card.
- Camera: Both the Motorola Cliq 2 and the original Cliq have 5-megapixel still-image cameras that can record standard-definition video. Neither phone has a front video camera.
- Battery: Both the Motorola Cliq 2 and the Cliq have user-replaceable lithium-ion batteries. The Cliq 2 features a 1,420 mAh battery that is rated for nearly eight hours of continuous usage.