I can see a phone on your dashboard for navigation, it’s small and it just makes sense. What I can’t see in an iPad strapped to someone’s dashboard, it’s just too big for that kind of use I think. There are enough distractions for drivers without the iPad blocking their view. Still though I know people are going to do it and so does TomTom as they’ve just announced version 1.9 that is optimized for the iPad. Price is $49.99 but if you already own it on the iPhone you can get it for free on your iPad.
Now optimized for the iPad, the new TomTom App features a higher resolution for a sharper display and an enhanced user interface to fit the larger screen size. The new release of the App is also compatible with Apple’s brand new iOS5.
The TomTom App for iPhone/iPad, version 1.9, features a new map release – a benefit to users of both Apple devices – with updated roads and points of interest.
With this new release, TomTom has made use of the extra iPad screen size. The full-screen display shows both driving view and advanced lane guidance at the same time. Drivers can also switch to driving view with one touch from anywhere within the App, and can access guidance options in a tap.
Customers also get HD Traffic as via an added in-App purchase. For existing TomTom HD Traffic subscribers, drivers can switch subscriptions from their iPhones to their iPads, at no cost.
Availability and pricing
TomTom App for iPhone/iPad 1.9 for the US is available now for $49.99. Existing TomTom App for iPhone customers can download the new version of the App to their iPad for free.
- Other key features of TomTom App for iPhone/iPad:
- Access to TomTom HD Traffic – the quickest way through the traffic
- The latest, most accurate TomTom maps available – with no need for a mobile signal or data plan
- Correct your map and get others’ changes every day via Map Share
- Arrival times you can rely on – at all times of day – with IQ RoutesTM
- Seamless navigation while calling, thanks to iOS 5 multitasking support
- Seamless integration with your iPhone contacts, photos, music, email and calendar
- Homer Simpson, Darth Vader, Yoda, and C3PO navigation voices available as an in-app purchase.
For further information, please visit www.tomtom.com.