If you use your Windows Phone to send emails from a GMail account then the recipient may have complained that your emails are illegible. They get caught in encoding hell that kick out all of the headers. But don’t be so fast to blame your Windows Phone…or Microsoft. It’s Google…screwing us again.

Go online to GMail and follow their instructions and that will fix how phone messages are sent:

http://support.google.com/mail/answer/22841?hl=en&ctx=mail

Send with UTF-8 encoding

Each time you send a message, Gmail automatically selects an appropriate encoding for the language(s) in which you’ve composed your mail. It’s possible, however, that the recipient may not be able to properly view the message you’ve sent.

If your contacts are having trouble viewing messages you’ve sent them, we recommend using ‘UTF-8’ (Unicode) for all outgoing mail. UTF-8 is a standard encoding that’s accepted by many email clients.

Here’s how to use UTF-8 encoding:

  1. Click the gear icon in the upper right, then select Settings.
  2. Scroll down until you see the ‘Outgoing message encoding:’ section
  3. Select Use Unicode (UTF-8) encoding for outgoing messages
  • That fixed it for me immediately and I stopped getting complaints that emails sent from my Windows Phone were illegible. Give it a go and report back to the group.

    5 COMMENTS

    1. […] Via MobilityDigest.com […]

    2. Hello,

      thank you very much for your instructions. However, they do not solve the problem of Google Mails being garbled when forwarding them to another recipient using Windows Phone.

      I just tested it and it seems that there is a 57 characters limit for the subject line. If the subject line exceeds 57 characters (including prefixes like Re: and spaces), the e-mail will be garbled (i.e. be sent as source code). If the line of the subject line is exactly 57 characters or less, the error does not occur.

      That is a very stupid bug, and it appears that it still exists in Windows Phone 8.

    Comments are closed.