AT&T Goes Android With Dell Mini 3 Smartphone
This will definitely not be the biggest surprise coming out of CES in Las Vegas as AT&T and Dell have reached an agreement for AT&T to carry Dell’s Mini 3 Smartphone that features Google’s Android. There is already a lot known about the Dell Mini 3 as it was released in Brazil and China first before heading over here to the US. Features on the Dell Mini 3 should look something like this:
- Google Android OS
- 3.5 inch capacitive touch screen (360×640 )
- 3.2-megapixel camera
Looks like the Dell Mini 3 should launch sometime the middle of next year and we should see some more infromation as AT&T and Dell get closer to the launch date. So stay tuned and we will bring more on the Dell Android Mini 3 exclusively through AT&T.
Full Press release after the break.
Dell Announces U.S. Smart Phone Deal with AT&T
- AT&T Joins Dell’s Growing List of Leading Smart Phone Carriers, Including China Mobile and Claro Brazil
- Dell and AT&T Collaborate on One of the First Android-Based Smart Phones to Run on AT&T and the Nation’s Fastest 3G Network
- The Mini 3 Smart Phone Reflects Dell’s Continued Focus on Developing Smart Mobile Products That Answer the Needs of Today’s Consumers
2010 International CES
LAS VEGAS–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Dell (NASDAQ:DELL) today announced that U.S.-based AT&T will become the next mobile operator to offer a smart phone from the Mini 3 Android-based lineup. Over the past two months, Dell has established smart phone arrangements with leading mobile operators including the world’s largest, China Mobile, Claro in Brazil, and now AT&T with the nation’s fastest 3G network.
“We offer our customers what no one else can, the nation’s fastest 3G network, the nation’s largest Wi-Fi network and now, Dell’s first smart phone in the U.S.”
Mini 3 smart phones create an easy-to-use mobile Internet experience. The Android-based platform gives the Mini 3 optimal power, flexibility and customization opportunities for both users and operators. Collaboration between Dell and AT&T combines the very best in performance and style. And, with AT&T’s largest Wi-Fi hotspot network, and fastest 3G network, Dell and AT&T will provide today’s social media mavens with the ability to simultaneously Tweet friends, post Facebook updates, share pictures and browse the Web.
Today’s announcement builds upon Dell’s mobile strategy of delivering communications solutions for wireless operators and their dedicated customers. Dell works with select operators around the world to make the most of their customers’ mobile experiences – on any network and using any application.
The arrangement with AT&T is part of Dell’s continued focus on developing smart mobile products and services through value-added relationships with leading operators. Dell has existing arrangements with other leading global telecom providers, including Vodafone in Europe, Australia and New Zealand; AT&T in the United States; M1 and Starhub in Singapore; Maxis in Malaysia; China Mobile in China; and Claro in Brazil – each creating more opportunities to meet the needs of the connected lifestyle.
Dell has contact with and listens to the requirements of millions of customers. In addition, a recent Dell-sponsored study of more than 1,500 people provides keen insight into what makes the best smart phone and mobile experience. Study highlights include:
- Eighty-two percent of those who own smart phones said they would not leave home without them;
- Eighty-six percent of survey respondents under age 35 say that personalized software and features on smart phones are important;
- More than half say they wish there were more smart phone options available in the marketplace;
- 76% say they would consider new smart phone devices from a well-known technology brand
- Nearly 90 percent say they would consider purchasing a smart phone from a highly regarded technology company as an alternative to leading smart phone manufacturers.
“Smart phones are an extension of Dell’s strategy to develop intelligent and more mobile products that meet the needs of operators and customers,” said Ron Garriques, president, Dell Communication Solutions. “The Mini 3 is a result of listening to customers and creating products that allow people to do the things they want, whenever and wherever they want to do them.”
“As the leader in smart phones, AT&T makes a great match with Dell to introduce the next Mini 3,” said David Christopher, chief marketing officer, AT&T Mobility and Consumer Markets. “We offer our customers what no one else can, the nation’s fastest 3G network, the nation’s largest Wi-Fi network and now, Dell’s first smart phone in the U.S.”
Details about Dell’s Mini 3 will be announced by AT&T closer to device availability expected during the first half of 2010.