AT&T Samsung Captivate gets update but not Froyo 2.2
September 22, 2010 | Google and Android | 7 Comments|
AT&T has releases a small firmware update for the Android Samsung Galaxy S device they call the Captivate. This is not an operating system update but is supposed to address a few issues with QuickOffice that will allow users to edit various Microsoft Office Documents as well as improve your voice calling experience. This is a small 12MB FOTA (Firmware Over The Air) update that actually started yesterday and will hit 15K users a day until completed.
Head on over to AT&T for more information here:
- 09/21/2010 – Firmware Over the Air (FOTA) software update changing software version from I897UCJF6 to I897UCJH7. A 12MB download is being pushed to Samsung Captivate owners starting on 09/21/2010 and will continue Tuesday through Friday at 15K customers per day until complete. This is NOT an operating system update. This update includes the following software updates:
- Preinstalled software – QuickOffice for Android will allow users to edit various Microsoft Office documents.
- Messaging – Exchange 2003 support, MMS and other messaging enhancements.
- Voice – Improved calling experience.
- Media – media scanning time improvements.
This firmware update is not intended to resolve all device reset or freezing issues, which may be caused by:
- Corrupted files
- Device memory becoming filled and leaving insufficient room to run applications.
- Use of incompatible 3rd party applications on the Samsung Captivate.
So far, this has bricked my phone…it is stuck on the GalaxyS logo after it loaded the update…
Worked fine for me, sorry to hear that… and I also heard from Samsung that this fixes the GPS as well, but AT&T doesn’t mention it.. So I asked Smasung about it, and I’m patiently awaiting a reply from them..
I jumped the gune…after 30 minutes, it finally left the logo screen and it is working now. It fixed the GPS issue??? Still having issues “locking in” with many GPS apps.
I just heard back from Samsung: “This is the same update and it will include GPS.”
I applied the update. Was hoping this would be the 2.2 update. Still no wireless tethering?
It hosed my phone. It began the reboot process, but never came back on. Dead as a door nail now. AT&T is sending me a new phone – but I will be back to using my old “Eternity” for a couple of days. I wonder if anyone else has had this problem?
@Scott Lee: @Scott Lee: Not only did this happen to me while in the airport but it took my several hours of the course of two days for ATT to do anything about it. They refused to send me a new phone or do anything at all. In the end I had to send my phone to Samsung and am still waiting on it’s arrival to TX. Just yesterday I called customer service again and was told that “they wish I would have called them first before sending it to Samsung” as they would have replaced the phone for me…….wtf. This was precisely what I was trying to do in the first place! Very upsetting that ATT dropped the ball and had no answers for me.