It seemed like developers were enjoying their slates so much that they weren’t going to even hit Ebay, but at least one has. It’s currently at $1225 with 6 days to go. Now for those of you thinking of just getting a Samsung Series 7 and installing Windows 8 it’s not the same. As Rafael Rivera notes:
The preview hardware consists of, for example:
- Newer firmware (04WJ.M005.20110826.LDG, 8/26/2011)
- An Option (GTM67x) chip for WiFi, phone and GPRS connectivity.
- A Silicon Labs (CP210x) chip for USB<->UART-based scenarios
- A Trusted Platform Module (1.2)
- More sensors/gizmos, like:
- NXP’s Near field Communications chip (NFC)
- A Bluetooth LE chip (although OS support isn’t quite ready/turned on)
- A gyroscope
- An ambient light sensor
Feels a little pricy to me because we’re getting used to paying for a Mobile OS which is under $1,000 but it’s still pretty tempting.