Good news/bad news. The Tango video chat app is live in the Windows Phone Marketplace and it’s free. Signup takes seconds and it’s super-easy to use. Bad news is that when you hit the video button it goes to black if you’re using a phone that doesn’t have a front facing camera. There’s no option to toggle cameras.. Boo! Anyway, here’s the feature list for the app:
Tango allows you to make free phone calls and free video calls over 3G, 4G, and Wi-Fi. Make calls to any other person who has Tango installed on their smartphone, tablet or PC. Start a Tango call with just voice, and easily move into a video call when you have something to share. It’s easy to use, it’s fun, and it works.
• Free calls between Windows Phone, Android and iOS phones and tablets, and PCs
• Save money with free international calls to other Tango members
• Start a phone call with Tango and switch to a video call when you have something to show by tapping the camera icon
• We automatically find the friends that already have Tango
• No log in and password – create an account in less than five seconds
• Invite your friends by Text and Email
• Simple and easy to use
Learn more at http://www.tango.me/
Like us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/TangoMe
Follow us on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/tangome
Watch us on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/TangoMe
Need Help? Visit http://support.tango.me
Now I will say that setup is a cinch and takes seconds. The apps is very smooth and the push notifications work incredibly. It’s just like getting a call and when the notification pops up when you tap it the app launches and you’re good to go. it even imports the contact photos so it really does feel like your phone. Now in the screenshots they provided there’s a camera toggle. That’s non-existent on older phones (I have two Focus’ trying to chat and nada). Anyway, if they update it then 5 stars. If Skype comes out with support for rear and front facing cameras first…well then we have a battle on our hands.
You can find it here in Marketplace.