I’m not sure that many people are ready for this and I know that I am not. Checking out the Amazon Echo that is launched today for $199 general retail or $99 for Amazon Prime Members and I am not sure I can get used to the fact that it is always connected to the internet, and always listening or “on”. You can ask Echo for all kinds of information like weather, news or even to listen to your favorite music. It is connected to Amazon’s web services and continues to learn your speech patterns and preferences.
Echo is always ready, connected, and fast. Just say the wake word, "Alexa," for:
- News, weather, and information: Hear up-to-the-minute weather and news from a variety of sources, including local radio stations, NPR, and ESPN from TuneIn.
- Music: Listen to your Amazon Music Library, Prime Music, TuneIn, and iHeartRadio.
- Alarms, timers, and lists: Stay on time and organized with voice-controlled alarms, timers, shopping and to-do lists.
- Questions and answers: Get information from Wikipedia, definitions, answers to common questions, and more.
- More coming soon: Echo automatically updates through the cloud with new services and features.
WiFi connected and Bluetooth capable for devices, the Echo is built with Apps for your Fire OS devices as well as Android and also works with PC and iOS browsers.
The video on the Amazon site actually adds to how disturbing the thought of being constantly connected to the internet with a device that is always listening and learning.
I’m not sure I am adding this to my wish list this year, what does the thought of always connected, always listening and always on do for you? Comment and let us know.